Sunday, April 02, 2006

ooooh, cake!

Today I made a cake for big sisters birthday. Well, actually I made two cakes, over the course of 48 hours. I made a strawberry and cream cake with vanilla whipped cream and strawberries macerated in Gran Marnier in the filling and chocolate dipped berries on the top. I also made a cake with two layers of Daquoise sandwiching a marnier syrup spiked genoise, all covered with a marnier spiked buttercream. It was delicious. Everyone loved both cakes. I especially loved the buttercream. It came out the way a buttercream should, like pure velvet with a light creamy buttery flavor. Much better than the recipe I have used at work.
This was the first time in a while I felt compelled to make a cake, let alone one so ambitious. It felt good, really good to make it and see the response from the group. I think I miss that connection with my 'customers', so to speak. It's what I really enjoyed about catering. Seeing that response to what you do, is food for the soul. Maybe that's what has been missing about this job. I make nothing with my own hands and I don't get that immediate feedback. It's not mine, so there is no connnection to the product. I need to get back into the kitchen, it's what I enjoy.

No comments: