Sunday, October 01, 2006

secret pal 9 questions

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I am a very tactile person, I like anything soft (alpaca, silk, blends, mohair, soft wooly stuff). Don't like scratchy. Don't really like eyelash (too fuzzy) or acrylics (I admit it, I'm a yarn snob).

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I use a small plastic storage container for notions (like that word), crochet hooks and small circulars, a tall tin can for the needles that won't fit in my needle holder, and a "circular solution" hangable holder (which is currently overflowing so I need something else, but can't figure out what).

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? I picked up my first needles in probably 1988? At about the same time I took a class at a lys. I have been knitting off and on (mostly off) since then. Have become much more dilligent in the last 4 years.
Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I am terrified of the words advanced and intermediate. I call myself an advanced beginner because there is so much I have to learn. I have made socks, scarves (I made my first scarf last year), mittens, gloves, working on a lace shawl and on a sweater with 6 (yes, 6) stitch patterns 4 of which are cables (and I wonder why I keep putting it down, sheesh!)

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Um, no.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) hmmmmmm........I love gardenias, lavender, and any of the Archipelago candle scents (especially their bergamot scents, yummm).

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Yes!!! Favorite candies are those little pseudo-strawberry thingys with the jelly filling that come wrapped in the strawberry printed wrappers, butterscotch hard candies, and any good chocolate (especially truffles).

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? Right now none. I have tried beads (made some nice earrings and bracelets for folks) and may return to that. I would like to learn to spin.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) My computer can play mp3s. I love most music, not a real big country fan. I like rock, r&b, classical, jazz (the old stuff mostly, of the new I hate Kenny G). I guess there is a category of coffee house? I like that.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I love red, blue, purple. I like jewel tones.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am single, no kids, one cat.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I don't wear ponchos, but I love scarves, hats, mittens, shawls, head scarves (no cotton 'cause it dries out my hair) are a must for me (gotta keep the locs tamed :-) Currently trying to figure out how to make a 40's style hair restraint of some kind. Bought some black silk and looking for patterns.


12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I don't really have one. Right now I like making big, fluffy socks for wandering around the house, but I also love sweaters.

13. What are you knitting right now? Meadow Flowers Shawl from Knitter's Stash, gloves from the OneSkein book, broken rib scarf, socks, the sweater I have been working on off and on for the last 2+ years (there's a picture somewhere in the past posts), and a 2nd scarf from the vogue bulky hats and scarves book.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Love 'em, but very rarely get them *sniffle, sniffle*

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I prefer circs (dpns for small stuff) and I usually use bamboo.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No, winder is on my mental wish-list.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? 2 and a half years *sigh* My plan is to finish it by spring.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas, I think.

19. Is there anything that you collect? I love teapots, I have 8 right now.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don't have any magazine subscriptions, although I am thinking of subscribing to Interweave. And right now the only books I am drooling over are Arctic Lace and Knitting Nature. I have been eyeing the Denise needles and I would love to have more Addie Turbos (insert Brenda Dayne's turbo sound here). Baby Alpaca in any guage or bold color is really high on my list of drool-worthy items.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I do want to learn more about lace.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Yes, I am newly addicted to socks. I will admit I am scared of size 1 needles and the fine yarn (do I have the patience????) so I do big and fuzzy.
Foot measurements? 10 inches long (stop laughing, I know I have big feet :-) and 10 inches around the instep.


23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) April 21st. Taureans rule!!!!!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Thanks for posting your answers! I love that you put pics in with your responses. ;)